Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Radio Saga


Rewind to the year 2002.That was when I came to Bangalore to settle down completely.There wasn't much Radio exposure back in Hyderabad.My school van's old stereo blared recent Bollywood songs played by 'the one & only FM radio station in Bangalore-"RADIO CITY"'. It was a nice accompaniment for the dreary way back home.I was immediately addicted to it.It even had really super cool programmes such as Top 8 @ 8, Darr, Aparadhi kaun etc.It played nothing but Hindi & English songs which was too good!

Soon after the TV in my house burst,radio city was my only solace.It helped me remain updated with the latest music.My friends were awed when I sang a full song while they could only manage a few lines thanks to MTV Music videos.Somehow radio never seemed antiquated to me.

Years passes but my obsession with the "Undisputed no.1 Radio channel" never vanquished.However, a lot of new FM stations started some being Radio Mirchi, Radio One,S FM (now RED FM).All these proved to be tough competitors for Radio City as they all played played nearly same songs, the only difference being the number of commercials.This was beneficial to public.Unfortunately these stations started playing Kannada songs (No offence but most of these are bad).These outnumbered the other good songs.Fever 104 which was the last one to join the wagon was very promising at first catering to the teenage population of the city.It was back on the beaten track very soon playing cheap songs.I lost faith in my old friend-'FM Radio' which hasn't revived till date.With great difficulty I put up with this while I did my math ( I think maths helped me put up with it).By the time I entered 12Th std,Radio stopped completely ( Not that I was busy studying because I hated it & slept most of the time. But another radio of screaming mom blared non-stop!) .

Even today,I listen to it only when there is nothing else to do or to prevent myself from falling asleep.Flicking through channels is something I don't enjoy very much but I have to if I intend to have my ear & mind in their respective places.

Times keep changing..so do tastes,music & radio channels.I sincerely wish that some good radio stations with great music,less commercials, sane RJs & clean image spring up in the already crowded arena of frequencies to soothe the hearts & minds of Bangaloreans..What do u say??

8 comments:

  1. Well..to be frank I am not a regular radio listener...and hence I am not exposed to the what you called "sane RJs" and stuff. If you ask me, radio stations are good these days the way they are,I like their "insanity" and loose way of talking, I personally like those ads that they put in the middle. I dunno why but I just do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I only listen to the radio at night, meaning I get exposed to a good number of "good" kannada songs. I listen to them as they offer something different, the style of kannada film music is different when compared to the rest of India (as far as I have seen), barring the cheap remakes of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya...radio stations have good songs(kannada esp) at night cuz the number of their kinda listeners r less.plus one more thing is afta 'mungaru male'..jus chk...most of the other kan songs sound jus lyk it.the kind & type.The loose way of talking is all ryt except wen it gets on ur nerves wit the basically accented nd bad language they use (some RJs).i dunno y but i hate commercials esp when they r repeated!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radio One is all about Hindi songs...Neva listened too many Kan Songs in it!!It's the only listenable station...!Tht too sunday s u get to here all the old songs...Super Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally..I too like Radio One better than all other stations.But wateva ads it has,all are as I said repetitive.U're right..they never play Kannada songs.But Radio City in its golden era was even better (I don't know whether u heard em @ that time!)..See I'm still so loyal to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Radio City in its golden era was playing the audio serial of KSBKBT!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes..but that was during afternoons..nd for housewives.I neva heard it(no regrets there!!)

    ReplyDelete